Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Fortune Island

This abandoned luxury resort in Batangas operated from 1995 to 2006 and I was thinking, clearly 10 years isn’t enough to destroy everything that was built in there isn’t it? According to Wikipedia, this posh resort that once catered to the rich people of the society used to have a salt-water swimming pool, clubhouse, cabana, basketball court, helipad, desalinator for freshwater consumption and a museum. But there’s nothing much basically in there when we arrived except for the Grecian pillars on top of the island overlooking the waters – the main selling point for different travel tour agencies.

Don’t get me wrong. I loved how the sand felt on my feet as soon as we landed in that 27-hectare property and even walked barefoot ‘til my feet couldn’t carry the scorching heat of the sand anymore but was instantly turned off with how dirty the used-to-be main lobby appeared. That’s where we’re supposed to camp out for a night unfortunately. :-/ The island doesn't have toilets provided because of fresh water unavailability (???) so you can just imagine the situation. And then suddenly for some reason, I got annoyed. I thought about how careless some people can go just to earn money, to post pictures past caring about their environment. It didn’t help that there were innocent animals killed recently in the news just for some people to appear cool in their social profiles. If they can kill animals, they can be reckless with nature or the environment too right? There's seawater, why can't they use it to provide a decent toilet in the area? I' was generalizing but seriously, I don’t know what was wrong with me that time. Haha. Not that I needed a loo or something. Lol!

But I was able to shake it off after some time. Screw the crowded people at the "Acropolis" having their selfies taken, I was there to have a swell time with my co-workers for a mini teambuilding. And good time we all had. It was almost too fun that I burned my back with too much swimming, frolicking in the sand and cliffjumping. Woohoo! Lol! As a mini protest, I never had any of my selfies by the pillar (though in true Cassey fashion yes I did bring a “Grecian” look for the venue). But as an improvement from the last beach post, I took these pics in different locations in the island. Lol!

I may not know much but I think there's something more to the destruction (or lack of preservation thereof) of the resort than the lack of freshwater. I was also looking up for pictures of its old glory online but couldn't find one. Lastly, I do wish the caretakers would do their best to preserve the beauty and maintain cleanliness in the island. That's all. :)














No comments:

Post a Comment